Sunday, January 2, 2011

Rain and warmth have vanquished all but a few scattered remnants of our snow. This morning hovered between ice and water. Small branches are decorated with suspended droplets, like a cold counterpart to the first flush of spring growth. Leaves crunch underfoot, kept frozen by the mass of the soil. I step over a border of fertile fronds onto a forest pool. Its sodden ice sags heavily. When I reach the stream I find it flowing merrily over a streambed of ice, which appears frothy from frozen air bubbles.

4 comments:

Brandon Paumen said...

No snow? We'll be snow-free too...four months. I like snow, but I intensely hate shoveling it.

Clara MacCarald said...

I like snow best when it all comes at once, so there's enough for skiing and snowshoeing but there's not that constant need to plow and shovel.

Michellemo said...

It is spring (already?)

Clara MacCarald said...

Hah. Nope, just a January melt. No worries - the snow has returned.