Friday, September 24, 2010

Trees blaze red or orange and light up the landscape. Asters grace golden fields with dashes of royal purple. Woodland asters are mostly white, but leaves and goldenrods cast an autumnal glow.



Leaves come down in shimmering displays, or drop noisily when the air is calm. This morning I took the dogs for their wood walk among dancing branches. When we reached the dry creek bed it was a mosaic of yellow and orange leaves instead of bare stones.



Yesterday I was out in the woods wearing the baby in a carrier. I looked up and discovered little yellow streamers adorning a shrub no taller than myself. A witch hazel was blooming, if such a grandiose term could be used for such pale, haphazard flowers. I’ve wanted to see this for two years and now I realized why I’d overlooked them. The leaves they shared branches with were more striking. I had pictured something similar to spring-flowering shrubs, like serviceberry which blooms white against a leafless forest.



The more I looked around, though, the more witch hazel I noticed. The flowers became little treasures which rewarded my closer looks. An understated pleasure in a flamboyant season.

4 comments:

Jessica Jeanne said...

I love your blog and I keep trying to think of WHO you ARE? Seems like if I don't know you I should.

Michellemo said...

Did you harvest some of them? are witch hazel flowers used or is it another part of the plant?

Clara MacCarald said...

Jessica - you and your family look vaguely familiar... I post as little identifying information here as I can, but maybe there's a clue in how you heard about my blog.

Clara MacCarald said...

Michellemo - it's actually the leaves and bark which are used, but I try to limit my disturbance of native plants. Current levels of wild collection do not appear to be threatening witch-hazel in the eastern US and southern Canada according to NatureServe (http://www.natureserve.org), so I'm not saying it's wrong. It's just not the kind of relationship I personally want to cultivate with our woods. But it's complicated of course, because I do eat raspberries etc. Someday I may do a post about my complicated and imperfect philosophy regarding wild edibles.